Case Study: 5k in Sales via Organic Search
Updated: Feb 26, 2019
Hit close to 5k in sales via organic search recently and got around 2k visitors and 800 clicks via google images using the exact strategy that I explained in my last blog post by optimizing just 200 images. This is relatively a new store with a domain age of less than a year. I have been doing SEO on this for around 4 months.
I will doing a series of post on SEO optimization that you can do in 2019 and try to keep it simple. These things are working for me and you can model them for quick results.
WHY SEO WORKS WITH SHOPIFY? Shopify is by default optimized for SEO which makes handling SEO operations and implementing SEO optimizations quite easy.
In short, Shopify has made SEO a whole lot easier using with following built-in features: 1. Title tag optimization 2. Meta description optimization 3. Alt image text optimization 4. URL slug optimization 5. Tags insertion 6. Automatic canonical tag creation 7. Auto sitemap.xml and robot.txt generation
You see, handling major SEO related optimizations comes quite handy if you have a Shopify store. If we talk about other major Content Management Systems, you require additional plugins and functions to execute above mentioned tasks – which ultimately make your site heavier and slower.
SEO TIPS WHICH WORK FAST WITH SHOPIFY
To get started with Shopify SEO, here are some tips you need to bear in your mind and fix them as these are fundamental rules. It would be a complete wastage of time if you are running your strategies without using these.
1. Do in-depth KEYWORD RESEARCH. Have altleast 500+ low competition keywords to go after in Google for content and image optimization. If you don't choose the right keywords, you will not rank, period.
2. Only use original content on your website. Having duplicate or plagiarized content can have adverse effect on your rankings.
3. Create unique and highly-relevant page titles and meta-descriptions for every single page on your Shopify store.
4. Optimize your store images using relevant titles and image alt texts.
5. Link your website internally. For e.g. link your products from the home page.
6. Resolve all canonical issues as priority.
7. Integrate Google Search Console and Analytics.
8. Have proper sitemap.xml and robot.txt file.
9. Don't spam. Build only high quality backlinks. Stay away from automated backlinks sold on Fiverr. Having no backlinks is better than spam backlinks.
10. Resolve all 404 errors and set up 301 redirects wherever necessary.
11. Improve your site speed and reduce the size of images. Google hates slow loading websites.
12. Focus on Blog. Nothing will get your website build authority faster than a quality blog. I always start with atleast 10 articles on the blog for all the new websites.
Start with these basic steps and you should start doing good in Google search. Will discuss things in detail in my upcoming posts.
Hope you found this helpful. Crush it in 2019.
Cheers! Rahul Bhatia